Overview of Admission Requirements for the MA/PhD Program
The GRE is required of all students educated (high school and college) in the continental United States. International students for whom English is not a native language, or who do not hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited university whose language of instruction is English, must take the TOEFL; the minimum score is 213 computer, or 80-19 for the internet based test (iBT). This is a University requirement. All applicants will submit a narrative statement of purpose, written in Spanish, and outlining their background and the reasons for pursuing graduate work.
To complete the admissions process follow Steps 1 and 2 below.
Complete the Graduate School Application.
- Note that there is a non-refundable application fee for electronic application (for more fee information visit http://gradsch.psu.edu/prospective/apply.html). Applications without the included fees cannot be processed. Make payable to The Pennsylvania State University (International money order or a check must be drawn on a U.S. bank. Canceled check serves as your receipt. Credit cards can be processed with the PDF downloadable Graduate School application form).
- Please attach the generated Fee Form if you filed your application electronically and you did not pay by credit card.
- DO NOT SEND CASH
Mail fee to:
Graduate Enrollment Services
114 Kern Building
University Park, PA 16802
You will be prompted to submit or complete the following items electronically when filing your online application:
- Representative research (e.g. a term paper, thesis, or article).
- Assistantship/Fellowship application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
Mail your transcripts directly to the department as follows:
Attn: Carol Ritter
The Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
The Pennsylvania State University
237 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802
- Two official transcripts from all higher institutions attended, both undergraduate and graduate.
- International applicants must submit official or attested university records, with certified translations if the records are not in English
(notarized copies are not sufficient).
GRE and TOEFL Scores
GRE scores - GRE scores are required for native English speakers only and must be submitted to the University by Educational Testing Services (ETS). The Penn State University code to reference is 2660.
TOEFL scores - TOEFL scores are required for all International students (non-native English speakers) and must be submitted to the University by Educational Testing Services (ETS). The Penn State University code to reference is 2660.
The deadline for applicants to be considered for the Fall semester is January 15 of that year. Applications for teaching assistantships/fellowships should be submitted electronically when filing your graduate program application before January 15 for the following academic year.